Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Taiwanese Meat Soup 肉羹 [Rou Geng]
"Rou Geng" is a popular taiwanese snack stand dish, boiled pork and fish paste shaped by hand, served in a thick mushroom, Chinese white cabbage and bamboo sprouts soup. Best with black vinegar and white pepper.
Variety-type: Meat soup with noodle, rice vermicelli, white rice.
Variety-taste: With dried codfish or with Sate sauce.
How to do?
1. Ground slim and fat pork with machine or knife.
2. Mix pork with salt, sugar, white pepper powder, sesame oil, oil fried red onion and Tapioca flour or potato flour.
3. Mix all with a bit white fish paste, then pinch in shape by hand. Boil in the water fishes up ready to use and keep the soup.
4. Cut mushroom, white cabbage and bamboo sprouts in threads. And cut spring onion ready to use.
5. Boil the bamboo sprout in water, fishes out ready to use.
6. Heat up oil in wok, fry the pre-cut spring onion then scoop up, use oil left in the wok to fry the mushroom and white cabbage threads.
7. Add the soup, boil all together. Add a little potato flour at the end to thicken the soup.
8. Serve ready to use meat in a bowl, pour the thick soup then coriander on the top. Spice with soy sauce, taiwanese black vinegar and white pepper.
Where to eat?
At a meat soup specialist stand in every taiwanese night market or traditional market and food court in department stores.
30年老店 阿草赤肉羹 - 新東街35號 (民生國中後門對面）
A-Tsao Chi Rou Geng （30 years store）
Hsing Dong Jie No. 35 (cross street of the Min-Shen junior high's back door)